Monday, March 12, 2012

What will happen if I don't do orthodontics?

I am writing this post because as hard as it is to believe, some potential patients want to know what will happen to their teeth if they don't proceed with orthodontic treatment.  Truth be told, the only evil influences in the fairytale life of your average molar are bacteria and forces.  Bacteria in the form of plaque causing periodontal breakdown or tooth decay and abnormal forces causing teeth to wear, tip, become loose etc. The bacteria part is easy...just brush, floss, see your dentist every 6mos.  Forces are much more complicated.   Teeth and the supporting structures are designed to handle vertically directed  forces and these are important in maintaining good quality bone.  Lateral forces or forces hitting the teeth at angles can be detrimental and lead to breakdown of the attachment and enamel fracture or wear.  This has a domino effect causing shifts in the bite and possibly jaw joint pain, popping and limited range of motion.  Will this happen to every patient?  Probably not,  but difficult to predict.  It is my job and that of your dentist, to help avoid these problems decades into the future.  So brush up McFly and no clenching or grinding!!!
Dr L

3 comments:

  1. Orthodontics treatments were used only for pre-teens and teens having problems with their bite (Malocclusion). Today, Orthodontics treatments like dental braces are not only for pre-teens and teens.
    Orthodontics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point. Today it is much more socially acceptable for adults and even senior citizens to wear braces. The braces are also more esthetic, comfortable and efficient so more adults are finding it possible to undergo treatment. I often hear from my adult patients: "I wish I did this years ago!" Dr L

    ReplyDelete
  3. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work. Cosmetic Dentistry Bend Oregon

    ReplyDelete